Captive Insurance Name Approval Application Guidance and FAQs
Please carefully review the information on this page before proceeding to the online name approval application. If you have any questions that cannot be answered by the information on this page, you may contact the Captive
Insurance Division at (404) 463-5416
If you are ready to proceed to the online name approval application, please click here.
Please follow the non-exhaustive guidance below in order to apply for a Name Approval Acceptance Letter for a CAPTIVE INSURANCE COMPANY using the online application:
- “Entity Type” - select Captive in the dropdown box.
- “Identification Type” – this field will default to ORGID. If you currently have a Certificate of Authority or if you have already filed an application with the Department and your application is pending, your captive has been assigned an ORGID. If you do not know your ORGID, click “Search for your ORGID” to look it up in our online records. If you cannot locate your ORGID, select EIN in the “Identification Type” dropdown box, if you have it, or Not Provided if you do not have an ORGID or an EIN.
- “Proposed Entity Name” - please include both the captive’s exact legal name and the dba or trade name (or how you would like it to be changed if you are changing the name of your captive) in the following format: John Doe Company, Inc. dba JD Company.
- All requested information must be entered before you will be allowed to submit the application.
- After you press “Submit” at the bottom of the online form, you will see a popup window that will ask you to confirm that your email address and your proposed entity name are correct. Please click “OK” to accept and “Cancel” to return to the application.
- Once you successfully submit the online application, you will be given the opportunity to pay online by credit card or E-check (there is a 2.5% credit card service fee and a $2.00 E-check service fee charged and collected by ACI and not the Department). You may also send in a paper check by printing out the payment screen and sending the check to one of the addresses listed on the screen.
- After you submit the application, you will receive an email confirming that your application has been received. This email will include a link where you may check the status of your application at any time.
- If your name is approved, you will receive an email with a Name Approval Acceptance Letter attached. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records. If you have not yet applied, you may submit this letter with your application.
- If you have additional questions, below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions that may provide assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
AM I A CAPTIVE INSURANCE COMPANY?
A captive insurance company is a Georgia domiciled insurance company that is formed primarily to underwrite the risks of its parent, affiliates, or its members. Georgia captive insurance companies include Pure Captives, Association Captives, Sponsored Captives, Agency Captives, Industrial Insured Captives or Risk Retention Group Captives.
DOES MY DBA NAME NEED TO BE APPROVED?
All captive insurance companies using a dba name must obtain a Name Approval Acceptance Letter from the Department. Captives may only use one
dba name, which must be registered with the Superior Court Clerk’s office in the county in which the entity is located or primarily doing business.
The online name approval application will ask for the “Proposed Entity Name.” In this field, please include both the captive’s exact legal name and the dba or trade name (or how you would like it to be changed) in the following format: John Doe Company, Inc. dba JD Company
HOW DO I CHECK THE STATUS OF MY NAME APPROVAL APPLICATION?
After you submit your online application, you will receive an email notifying you that the application has been received by the Department. This email will include a link to a page that will let you know the status of your application. You may return to this page using the link at any time during the name approval application review process.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO APPLY FOR A NAME APPROVAL ACCEPTANCE LETTER?
The filing fee for name approval applications is $50. The Department must receive this filing fee prior to processing the application. After the online name approval application is submitted, you will be automatically sent to an invoice page where you will have the option to pay online by credit card or E-check through ACI, the Department’s vendor for electronic payments. If you pay online, you will be charged a 2.5% service fee for credit card payments and a $2.00 service fee for E-check payments – this is a service fee charged and collected by ACI and not the Department. Credit card payments will be processed within 24 hours and E-check payments will be processed within 48 hours.
If you wish to submit a paper check through the mail, you must print off the invoice page and send a $50 check to one of the addresses listed on the page. Because paper checks are first sent to our bank for processing, it will take approximately 5 business days from the day the check is put in the mail to be received by the Department. Name approval applications will NOT be processed until the $50 filing fee is processed by both our bank and internally by the Department.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY NAME IS REJECTED?
If your proposed entity name is not available for use in Georgia, you will receive an email attaching a Name Approval Rejection Letter. The email will include instructions regarding who to contact in order to discuss your options for a revised entity name. Do NOT file a second online name approval application with a new proposed name if you receive a Name Approval Rejection Letter
. The individual you will be asked to contact will be happy to work with you to come up with a name that will be approved.
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY LETTER IF MY NAME IS APPROVED?
If your name is approved, you will receive an email with a Name Approval Acceptance Letter attached. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records and submit a copy with your application for a Certificate of Authority (if the application has not already been submitted).
WHY DO I NEED NAME APPROVAL?
All captive insurance companies must obtain a Name Approval Acceptance Letter from the Department for their legal names and dba names (if applicable).