Agency Name Approval Application Guidance and FAQs
Please carefully review the information on this page before proceeding to the online name approval application. If you have any questions that cannot be answered by the information on this page, you may contact the Limited-Risk Entities Division at (404) 463-5416
If you are ready to proceed to the online name approval application, please click here.
Please follow the non-exhaustive guidance below in order to apply for a Name Approval Acceptance Letter for an AGENCY using the online application:
- “Entity Type” - select Agency in the dropdown box.
- “Identification Type” – this field will default to ORGID. Your ORGID and your Agency License number are the same. If you currently have an agency license or if you have filed an agency application with the Department and your application is pending, your agency has been assigned an ORGID. If you do not know your ORGID, click “Search for your ORGID” to look it up in our online records. If you cannot locate your ORGID, select EIN in the “Identification Type” dropdown box, if you have it, or Not Provided if you do not have an ORGID (License#) or an EIN.
- “Proposed Entity Name” - please include both the agency’s exact legal name and the dba or trade name (or how you would like it to be changed if you are changing the name of your agency) in the following format: John Doe Company, Inc. dba JD Company.
- All requested information must be entered before you will be allowed to submit the application.
- After you press “Submit” at the bottom of the online form, you will see a popup window that will ask you to confirm that your email address and your proposed entity name are correct. Please click “OK” to accept and “Cancel” to return to the application.
- Once you successfully submit the online application, you will be given the opportunity to pay online by credit card or E-check (there is a 2.5% credit card service fee and a $2.00 E-check service fee charged and collected by ACI and not the Department). You may also send in a paper check by printing out the payment screen and sending the check to one of the addresses listed on the screen.
- After you submit the application, you will receive an email confirming that your application has been received. This email will include a link where you may check the status of your application at any time.
- If your name is approved, you will receive an email with a Name Approval Acceptance Letter attached. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records. If you have already applied for an agency license, we will notify PSI (the Department’s licensing vendor) that the name approval has been issued and that they may move forward with processing your license application. If you have not yet applied, you may submit this letter with your agency application.
- If you have additional questions, below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions that may provide assistance.
AM I AN INSURANCE AGENCY?
Frequently Asked Questions
An insurance agency, also known as a business entity insurance producer, is a business entity that represents one or more insurers and is engaged in the business of selling, soliciting or negotiating insurance. Retail vendors of portable electronics, self-storage providers and rental companies are also considered types of agencies. If you are applying for, or already have, an agency license, you are considered an insurance agency for licensing and name approval purposes.
DOES MY DBA NAME NEED TO BE APPROVED?
All resident and non-resident insurance agencies using a DBA name that includes one of the restricted words
must obtain a Name Approval Acceptance Letter from the Department. Agencies may only use one
DBA name, which must be registered with the Superior Court Clerk’s office in the county in which the agency is located.
The online name approval application will ask for the “Proposed Entity Name.” In this field, please include both the agency’s exact legal name and the DBA or trade name (or how you would like it to be changed) in the following format: John Doe Company, Inc. dba JD Company
HOW DO I CHECK THE STATUS OF MY AGENCY NAME APPROVAL APPLICATION?
After you submit your online application, you will receive an email notifying you that the application has been received by the Department. This email will include a link to a page that will let you know the status of your application. You may return to this page using the link at any time during the name approval application review process.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO APPLY FOR A NAME APPROVAL ACCEPTANCE LETTER?
The filing fee for name approval applications is $50. The Department must receive this filing fee prior to processing the application. After the online name approval application is submitted, you will be automatically sent to an invoice page where you will have the option to pay online by credit card or E-check through ACI, the Department’s vendor for electronic payments. If you pay online, you will be charged a 2.5% service fee for credit card payments and a $2.00 service fee for E-check payments – this is a service fee charged and collected by ACI and not the Department. Credit card payments will be processed within 24 hours and E-check payments will be processed within 48 hours.
If you wish to submit a paper check through the mail, you must print off the invoice page and send a $50 check to one of the addresses listed on the page. Because paper checks are first sent to our bank for processing, it will take approximately 5 business days from the day the check is put in the mail to be received by the Department. Name approval applications will NOT be processed until the $50 filing fee is processed by both our bank and internally by the Department.
WHAT DO I DO IF I AM CHANGING THE NAME OF MY LICENSED AGENCY?
If you currently have an agency license but are seeking to change the name or dba of the agency, and the new name or dba will include one of the restricted words
, you must fill out the name approval online application and obtain a Name Approval Acceptance Letter. You must also fill out Form GID-390-AL: Request for Name/Address Change for Individual & Agency Licensees
and submit that form, along with a check for $25, to one of the addresses listed on that form.
The online name approval application will ask for the “Proposed Entity Name.” In this field, please enter the name (and dba if applicable) for which you are seeking name approval (i.e., the new name of the agency) and NOT the current name of the agency. The name entered into the “Proposed Entity Name” field must match exactly how you intend the agency to be changed with the Georgia Secretary of State and on your Georgia agency license (including punctuation).
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY NAME IS REJECTED?
If your proposed agency name is not available for use in Georgia, you will receive an email attaching a Name Approval Rejection Letter. The email will include instructions regarding who to contact in order to discuss your options for a revised agency name. Do NOT file a second online name approval application with a new proposed name if you receive a Name Approval Rejection Letter
. The individual you will be asked to contact will be happy to work with you to come up with a name that will be approved.
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH MY LETTER IF MY NAME IS APPROVED?
If your name is approved, you will receive an email with a Name Approval Acceptance Letter attached. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records. If applicable, this letter should be submitted to the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office with your formation documents or your application to do business as a foreign entity in the state of Georgia. If you are unsure whether you need to file with the Georgia Secretary of State, you should review the requirements on their website at http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/corporations
or contact their office.
If you have already applied for a Georgia agency license, we will notify PSI (the Department’s licensing vendor) that the name approval has been issued and that they may move forward with processing your agency application. If you have not yet applied for an agency license, you may submit the Name Approval Acceptance Letter with your agency application.
WHY DO I NEED NAME APPROVAL?
All resident and non-resident insurance agencies using a business name or DBA that includes one of the following restricted words
must obtain a Name Approval Acceptance Letter from the Department.
If the name of your agency includes one of these words
, an insurance license will not be issued until a letter has been issued. Additionally, if you are required to register with the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office, they will deny your request to form a domestic company in Georgia or to register as a foreign corporation doing business in Georgia until you have been issued a Name Approval Acceptance Letter.